Tuesday, August 16, 2005

career dilemmas at pangungulit ng magulang

i find it so weird that after a couple of years of hoping to land a job with a university (yun nga lang puro hope ako at hindi naman nag-a-apply! hahaha!) and then finally deciding to postpone my career in psych to give way to coordination, offers and interviews poured in! (hehehe! mayabang ako eh! feeling ko pag-in-interview ako, good as tanggap na ako! mwahahahaha!)

last may, the head of the ateneo college guidance office contacted me and offered me a job in his department. although i wanted the job coz it would be a good learning opportunity and ateneo isn't so far away, i told him i couldn't accept it because of my events coordination business. nagulat nga ata siya eh kasi he knew how much i wanted to train to be a really good psychologist.

then one month after, DLSU-CSB contacted me for a job interview. isa pa yun, it has been my dream to work in de la salle. una, mataas sweldo! hahaha! pangalawa, i want access to their library. you see, i already hace access to both UP and ateneo libraries so i need access na lang to the dlsu lib para complete ko na. mwehehehe! nahahalatang sobrang nerd ko! but then again, i had to turn that down. of course, because of cooridnation.

then a couple of weeks ago, the dean of FEU-FERN called. i have a scheduled meeting daw with her for a job. weird no? never naman ako nag-apply. syempre, had to turn it down again. okay naman yung FEU kasi ma-okay naman ang benefits nila for their faculty at saka university pa rin yun.

dito sa last na job interview na ito, hindi na nakatiis ang magulang ko at pinagsabihan na ako. our conversation went like this:

Mama: Anak, tumawag raw ung Dean ng FEU sa iyo?
Ako: Oo daw po, ma. jan daw sa bahay. Tapos nag-text at nagpapa-return call.
(In the bground - Papa: Sinabihan ko nga siyang tanggapin niya na eh)
Mama: Eh bakit ayaw mo? Anak, maganda naman ang FEU kasi competitive naman ang faculty salary nila.
Ako: Ma, eh kung mag-e-FEU na lang ako, eh di dapat nag-Ateneo na lang ako.
Mama: Oo nga, mas maganda Ateneo. Eh bakit mo nga ba tinanggihan yun?
Ako: Kasi po full time yung hinahanap nila, eh hindi ko naman kayang mag-full time. *notice that i never mention coordinating here as a reason coz my parents are not really happy with my decision to go into coordinating and to postpone my "promising" career! hehe! instead, the reason i give them why i can't have a full-time job is because of jojie's workload, which is actually true, you know.*
Mama: Ah oo nga pala. Pero ayaw mo nito?
Ako: Ma, eh di kung FEU, eh di dapat nag-CSB na lang ako.
Mama: CSB? Bakit? Tumawag din ba sa iyo yung CSB?
Ako: (ooops!) Oo di ba? Di ba sa iyo binanggit ni Papa? Alam niya yun eh. *hehe! sinisi ko pa papa ko!*
Mama: Eh bakit hindi mo kinuha?
Ako: Ha? Eh full time din eh. Tsaka counseling, hindi teaching. Eh ayoko namang mag-counseling sa school, di ba?
Mama: Ay oo nga pala...

... then, thankfully, we drifted to other topics.


i just find all these so weird! parang kung kelan naman, i'm more or less settled na with coordination, jan naman dumarating yang mga yan. so i asked bernard tuloy to sit with me and talk things over. so we sat and discussed what i really want to do with my life. and after more or less an hour of talking, we were just able to clarify one thing, finishing my thesis is non-negotiable. As for the rest... like how long should I do coordination or should I still pursue PhD like what I've always dreamt of doing or should I still target teaching or should I still open a clinic or should I just really stay at home... well, we'll just play things by ear. For now, I enjoy what I'm doing and that's what matters.

:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyra said...

Waaah! Ba't di mo tinanggap?!?! :D

*joke* basta kung san ka masaya! :)

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger Marj and Carlos said...

Hey! I think I have a proposition for you. Let's talk :)

Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home