Thursday, March 31, 2005

on being a wedding coordinator

i told myself that i would not use this blog to make kwento about my life as a wedding coordinator. aside from the fact that mauunahan ko pa clients ko sa pagkwento about their weddings (hehe!), i really think it's unethical to talk about a client. siguro dala na rin ng training ko sa counseling. i realized though that i can write naman pala about the job per se so okay na. :)

i enjoy coordinating. it is stressful. it is tiring. you feel as if you were a slave for one whole day. but i enjoy it. i know it's not the save-the-world job that i've always dreamt of (okay, okay, i know i can't save the world!) and i'm not planning to do this my whole life (my sweet husband actually thought i wanted to be a wedding coordinator until i'm 40). but for now, i enjoy this. i realize that i don't just like it because i'm still hung up on wedpreps but because i've always enjoyed coordinating events. gusto ko kasi talaga feeling efficient ako and what more can make me feel that way than organizing an event? at least you'll immediately know how it turns out. and contrary to what some of my friends think na masyado ako nawili sa preps at hindi ko ma-let go kaya ako nag-coord, i actually told benz march 2004 pa that i wanted to be an events coordinator. nung time na yun hindi pa naman ako haling na haling sa preps.

my parents absolutely dislike the fact that i'm doing this right now. we had dinner with them last easter. just before dinner my mom and i talked and she gave me an earful about my being a coordinator (she already did this by calling me at 630 am last week just to "remind" me about my thesis). i was able to reason with her and even told her in a nice voice to stop nagging me. i thought i was off the hook. tapos dinner na. bernard and i were about to leave when my dad asked me about my thesis. naku po! ayun na! nagsimula na ang litanya. haaay! :D talaga raw bang iiwanan ko ang psych for events coordination? aba! sana man lang daw kung yayaman man lang ako. aside from the fact that i've always dreamed of becoming a top-notch psychologist, they said that the only way i can earn real money from this is if i get a cut from suppliers PF which they sure i won't do (actually, tama naman sila kasi our team already discussed this and although there are suppliers who offer money, we decided not to accept it kasi we think it's unethical). haaaay! to top it all, my husband laughed every time my father would make a joke (papa: "anak, hindi ka ba nakakahawak ng P10,000? tapusin mo na lang thesis mo." bernard: "hahaha!" mama: "anak, masyado mo naman kina-career yan" bernatrd: "hahaha!"). i was so irritated with him that we argued on the way home. syempre biglang bawi ang mister ko ng "but baby, it is your decision naman. i will support you kahit ano pa man ang gusto mo." achuuu! bwiset! pagkatapos mo akong pagtawanan sa harap ng magulang ko! haaaay!

oh well. for now, hindi muna ako pumupunta sa parents ko! hehehe! escaping ba? mabuti na lang bernard and i have this research project so they know i'm busy with the research and not just with coordinating. hehehe!

in fairness to my husband, he does support me. actually buti na lang talaga he does or else, i won't be able to do all the meetings (palaging gabi meeting. at palagi akong sinasamahan ni jojie) and the coordination per se (he prepares breakfast for me and arranges all my stuff if we have a wedding, etc). and in fairness na rin to my parents, they also told me that as long as i finish my thesis, they are okay na with my being a coordinator. magturo na lang daw ako ng kahit na 6 units para hindi mawala sa psych circle.

i really need to finish na my thesis but where the hell will i find 10 high-SES couples with 3 to 4 kids with the eldest aged 10 to 12??? o di ba, ang hirap! haaaay!

oh well! for now, i like what i'm doing. i get to meet many people and get to befriend most of my clients. at the same time, i get to practice my counseling skills when the client gets so stressed na. so the bst of both worlds di ba?

:)

3 Comments:

Blogger lengirl said...

you remind me of my sister who's a special education teacher. she tried the corporate world because of money matters, but the desire to teach kids wouldn't wane. now she's happy and fulfilled teaching at a sped school :)

Friday, April 01, 2005 5:09:00 PM  
Blogger M0rN1nG & N!cE said...

I can relate Clarice. My relatives thought I was mad because I gave up actuarial studies just to do volunteer work. Hmpft!

Just follow what your passion is. Money and prestige is important but they are not everything.

Friday, April 01, 2005 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Lyra said...

Can't you do your thesis on people who are getting married? :D

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home