Sunday, October 23, 2005

THIRD DAY

This is becoming harder and harder. I made a really major booboo today. I gave Jojie a shampoo and a sponge bath. Since the dextrose stand was too high, I had to step on a chair to reach it. I accidentally moved the hose and the IV needle was dislodged (or at least Jojie attributes what happened to the needle to what I did). He was furious at me. At first, the nurse told him that the needle was still in place but when he was given Benadryl intravenously, he was in such excruciating pain that he knew something was wrong. When we told the evening nurse about the pain in his hand, she made a simple procedure to make sure that the needle was still in place. Ang dali pala namang malaman kung in place pa or hindi,nainis ako na hindi ginawa nung day nurse! It turned out that the needle was in fact dislodged and had to be transferred to the other hand. Because they knew Jojie was violently opposed to having the needle transferred (plus the fact that Tita Normie requested that the IV be removed asap), the resident doctor just decided to have the IV removed. Hay!

Although I was endlessly apologetic about what happened, Jojie could not be appeased. I know it was my fault but I wasn't able to rein my temper that I snapped at Jojie. I know Jojie's going through so much so I should be more patient but I'm also physically tired and emotionally, I'm still anxious over what's happening to my husband. The good thing was we were able to talk after and he was able to tell me for the first time that he's having a difficult time. That is a big deal you know, to be able to say out loud what he felt. We were both able to verbalize our fears. I think this litle spat came at the right time. In hindsight, it helped us to be closer during this trying time.

On a more cheerful note, Ninang Zeny (one of our Principal Sponsors and Jojie's favorite tita) came to visit with Randy, her son. Kwento-kwento lang. Yun nga lang, when they visited Jojie wasn't in a very good mood (come to think of it, he wasn't in a good mood all day anyway so okay lang yun).

Called Abie in the evening to update her. Nakakatawa kasi although my mom and my sister reads up on hyperthyroidism, it didn't occur to me that I can also do that. But because Abie told me that she's been surfing the net about thyroid abnormalities and then she mentioned something about the procedure being used to treat hyperthyroidism (thanks again, Abie!), I was inspired to read up on Jojie's condition. I connected to the net using the hospital's phone line (Hahaha! Naka-tie up lang yung line the whole time I was surfing the net) and read up on hyperthyroidism and the usual treatments being done. Reading really helped us understand and put together the bits and pieces the doctors have told us so far. Mas hindi na ako nine-nerbyos kasi alam ko na yung nagyayari. Although hindi pa rin definite what's really the cause of Jojie's hyperthyroidism (I hope it's just a simple thyroiditis and not something serious), nakaka-empower talaga pag alam mo na.

Jojie and I surfed together and I read aloud to him what we were able to find out. I think it's the first time nag-sink in sa kanya what's happening to his body. He was subdued for a while but was better after we talked.

Tomorrow is Jojie's thyroid scan. Yey! At least we won't be in the blind for long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home